Monday, December 1, 2014

Taking The Sting Out Of Diaper Rash Naturally

Babies definitely have my sympathy.  I can't imagine having to rely on someone to keep on top of when I've gone to the bathroom...even 5 minutes in a dirty diaper can wreak havoc on sensitive skin.  My poor little son's booty is extremely sensitive.  He tends to get diaper rashes very easily and much more frequently than his sisters did.


This week he developed an ear and throat infection, which I had no idea he had.  Unlike most babies he had not pulled on his ear or cried when laid down.  I was more concerned with the sound that his cough had developed into while he's been teething.  (which turned out to be no big deal)  With the news of the problem being an ear and throat infection, I gave into antibiotics to help clear them up before his scheduled immunizations, and along with the medication came the side-effect of strong diarrhea. His little booty did not stand a chance.


I had been placing Lavender behind his ears twice daily to help him with a soothing aroma while teething and apparently it also aided in soothing pain with his ears because he stopped digging in them and pulling on them. That in and of itself is wonderful, but had I read that using Melaleuca behind his ear and down the Eustachian tube would aid in relieving his ear of infection, I would have done that instead of the antibiotics. Live and learn.

Thankfully I have Lavender and Melaleuca oils on hand at all times. Below is my recipe for soothing my son's diaper rashes.

It is amazing how quickly these two oils work on helping his body to heal the irritated skin. After healing the skin, use cornstarch with each diaper change.  (I like having it in the mix...just because.  But you can opt to not include the cornstarch in the formula above.)  I love knowing that I can quickly make up a batch to have in my diaper bag and another at home ready for use. 

I take 5 tablespoons of organic coconut oil, 3 drops Lavender oil, 3 drops Melaleuca oil and put them directly into a sterilized 4 oz. baby food jar. Then I mix in the cornstarch one tablespoon at a time. DONE!  

This mix will solidify in temperatures under 76°F if organic coconut oil is used.  (it will not solidify if fractionated coconut oil is used) That makes this perfect for traveling in my diaper bag in the winter time. Once you scoop some out and place it on your baby's booty, the heat from their body will cause it to melt and easily be spread over the affected area.

Lavender Oil is such a lovely oil.  Click HERE for my spotlight on Lavender essential oil to learn more about the beauty of this oil.


Melaleuca Oil is wonderful at aiding the body to repair skin irritations, cuts, scrapes, and burns. It has the following properties that allow it to aid in the repair: Antibacterial Antibiotic, Antifungal, Anti-inflammatory, Antiviral, Astringent, and Disinfectant.  Melaleuca has been documented to kill many bacteria, viruses, and fungi on contact which makes it excellent for cuts, wounds, burns, and anywhere that bacteria might be found. (like a babies bottom) 
For other great tips on how to Make Over Your Diaper Bag, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment